Raw Chocolate Macaroons
- 1 cup almond flour (or ½ cup raw almonds)
- 2 cups dried organic unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 1/4 cups raw cacao powder (or carob powder if you don’t want to use cacao)
- 1 cup maple syrup, agave or raw honey
- 1/3 cup coconut butter (you can substitute with coconut oil or I have left it out before too)
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Pinch of sea salt
If you are using raw almonds instead of almond flour, place them in the bowl of a food processor and grind them until they are very finely chopped. Or if you make your own almond milk you can dehydrate the left over almond.
Add the coconut to the ground almonds or almond flour, along coconut butter, maple syrup (or your choice of sweetener, vanilla extract and pinch of salt. Process until the mixture is well blended but still has plenty of texture.
Form mixture into balls and place the macaroons on a cooling rack and dehydrate for a few hours – depending on your preferred texture. You can also refrigerate them until they are firm.
Raw Chocolate Covering
Melt raw cacao butter in double boiler (not over 112 F), add raw agave, maple syrup, or sweetener of your choice and raw Cacao powder and stir until everything is melted and mixed. Pour over the coconut macaroons and refrigerate and ENJOY! (If you don’t have much time or have no raw ingredients, you can melt dark chocolate chips, add a little coconut cream to it and use that as the chocolate cover)
For Chocolate Orange Macaroons: add 2 teaspoons of finely grated orange zest.
For lemon or orange scented macaroons: add 1 ½ teaspoons grated lemon or orange zest to the mixture.