Superfood Chia – 11 Ways to use Chia seeds
Chia, pumpkin and flaxseeds, for example, all contain anti-inflammatory magnesium and healthy omega-3 fatty acids. Two tablespoons of chia seeds contain 18 percent of the DRI for calcium, 35 percent for phosphorus, 24 percent for magnesium and about 50 percent for manganese. (1 ounce of chia seeds has more calcium than half a glass of milk!)
Fiber is associated with reducing inflammation, lowering cholesterol and regulating bowel function. Chia seeds are an excellent source of fiber, with a whopping 10 grams in only 2 tablespoons.
1. Substitute for eggs (1 ground tbs of Chia with 3 tbs water for one egg) in recipes
2. Thicken up Soups or Gravy – Add 1 ts of seed at a time until you reach the desired thickness. It needs a few minutes to thicken
3. Sprout Chia seeds for salads
4. Add them to Brownies or truffles to increase protein and fiber
5. Add chia seed to coconut water, especially if you are an athlete for an energy mineral dring
6. Use in slow cooler to thicken sauce
7. Add chia seeds to beaten egg, soak for 10 min and make omelette.
8. Make Crackers – Make thin batter of chia seeds and milk and cook in slow oven or dehydrator to make crackers, you may want to add cinnamon, or vanilla stevia for sweet crakers or salt and herbs for salty crackers.
9. Make a Cinnamon Nut Butter – Add ground chia seeds to nut butters, or add to butter with some cinnamon,,
10. Make Healthy Pudding – Add ½ cup of chia seeds to 11/2 cups of almond or milk of your choice. You can add cinnamon, stevia or any other natural stevia. Can be served with fresh fruit.
11. Add to smoothies – I love to add chia seeds to my smoothies, it makes them richer and thicker and the smoothie will keep me full longer!
Love to hear other ways you like to use Chia Seeds!